Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Catch the Reading Bug!

This year to help promote reading outside of school I have piggy-backed along with an awesome idea that Lindsey @ The Teacher Wife had last year!  It was a Home Reading Tracker board.  Her design was different than mine - but it follows the same idea!

I decided to use the phrase CATCH THE READING BUG and for ever 100 minutes that students read, they would 'catch'  a bug in their jar!  I was SO fortunate to find the PERFECT graphics from Scrappin' Doodles.  I took those graphics, created a cute border, made my heading and each student got a bug catching jar!

To track our reading, a monthly calendar is sent home.  To assure students are continually excited about getting bugs and parents and students alike are not forgetting to record their reading, students turn in their calendar each Friday, I add up their minutes read and we have a big Bug Catching Time!  What.A.HIT!  They are SO excited each and every Friday to turn their calendars in and see how many bugs they are up too!  Now I just hope that this excitement lasts all year!

Here is a look at our board so far!  This is after 3 weeks of school! *INSERT HAPPY TEACHER HERE!*




Happy Reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment