Monday, September 3, 2012

First Day of School WITH kids!


After a L O N G 4 days of inservice, we started with our *AWESOME* kiddos today!  I found out yesterday I got a new student, so I was up to 13 kids today! (8-2nd graders and 5-1st graders)  6 of the 8 2nd graders with with me last year and 3 of the 1st graders were in Kindergarten at our school last year, so the 4 'new' ones were in good hands! We are devoting our first week of school to learning, practicing, and embedding our TRIBES agreements, Our Class Promises, our school procedures and routines and some fun projects!  Today we talked about our fears and anxieties about 1st and 2nd grade, discussed and practiced our first TRIBES agreement, Attentive Listening, Created a Classroom Promise, and worked on a 'Detective' Project from our First Week Detective Packet.

Here are some pictures to show the great work my students did today and our classroom!



Our CAFE board!  Ready to be filled in!




Our Whole Body Listening, TRIBES agreements, I FEEL cards and the date box 
The students compiled list of things that would be important to include in our classroom promise


Close up of our I-Message Cards

Fears and Excitements for 1st and 2nd grade

One group (pre-day 1)


Pre-Day 1 again

Pre-Day 1 group 2 (and the packed full shelf!) 


1st and 2nd grade required, taught, and read aloud books

Daily Work/Folder/HW Bins






The FINALIZED Class Promises!  So proud of my students hard work and deep thinking! 

The beginning of our Looks Like, Sounds Like, Feels Like Chart with Attentive Listening 
Classroom at the END of day 1!  Not too bad! 

Piles that still need to be organized for the rest of the week!

Weekly folders mostly packed with materials.

Our 4 TRIBES agreement posters

All the day 1 hard work!  

Hard to work on their 'Find Someone Who....' activity!  




Many of the activities that I am doing this week are coming from my First Week Detective Packet.  My beginning of the year theme was detectives, so I made a variety of our getting to know you activities Detective/Solve a Mystery based.  Here are some activities from that packet!

Happy First Week of School!




And I thought I would add a little extra happy into this day.... When I got home, I got to take a dip in the pool, with this view...Though living here can be hard - I cannot complain too much about this!


No comments:

Post a Comment